Staining, Accidental Damage and Structural Defects insurance is arranged by Castelan Limited with UK General Insurance Ltd on behalf of: Ageas Insurance Limited, Registered in England No.354568.Registered Office: Ageas House, Tollgate, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO53 3YA.
UK General Insurance Ltd and Ageas Insurance Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Castelan Limited is an appointed representative of Homeserve Membership Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
This can be checked on the FCA's register by visiting the FCA?s website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting them on 0845 606 1234 (call rates may vary).
Each time we use one of these words it will have the same meaning:
Administrator: The authorised Administrators, Castelan Limited, appointed to administer this insurance on behalf of the insurer. Their registered address is Alpha House, Sunnyside Road North, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, BS23 3QY. Registered number: 7637133.
Insured, you, your: The person or persons whose name and address is shown under 'INSURED' shown on your Certificate of Insurance.
Insurer, our, us, we: UK General Insurance Ltd on behalf of, Ageas Insurance Limited, of Ageas House, Tollgate, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO53 3YA Ageas Insurance Limited is registered in England with number 354568. Ageas Insurance Limited's FCA registration number is 202039.
Maximum Liability: Fabric and Leather Upholstery, Cabinet Furniture, Carpet, Beds: You are covered for cleaning, repairs or replacement up to a maximum of £15,000 or up to the original purchase price of the damaged product whichever is lower in settling any one claim or all claims in total made during the Period of Cover.
Product: The item(s) detailed under 'PRODUCT(S) COVERED' shown on your Certificate of Insurance. Where items are non-integral and therefore easily separated, such as a mattress and base or arm caps, scatter cushions and other accessories, they are treated as separate products in the event of a claim.
2. PERIOD OF COVER:
- Your insurance for Staining and Accidental Damage will start from the date shown on your Certificate of Insurance;
- Your insurance for Structural Defects will start following the expiry of the manufacturer's guarantee,
- Your insurance terminates as soon as any of the following alternatives occur:
- The policy expires;
- You, or anyone representing you defrauds or deliberately misleads us or the administrator; or
- The Maximum Liability is reached (as stated below) or;
- Your claim has been settled by a credit note or cash settlement; or
- The premium for this insurance is not paid; or
- You modify the product.
It is the our intention that this insurance cannot be renewed.
3. ADMINISTRATION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The administrator will arrange and administer your insurance cover and settle all claims in accordance with the service standards provided by this insurance.
- The administrator reserves the right to cancel this policy by giving you at least 7 days notice at your last known address. If the administrator cancels the policy, the administrator will refund your premium for the remainder of the current policy period shown on your Certificate of Insurance, unless a claim has been made.
- You are responsible for informing the administrator of a change of your address by phoning 0870 320 0333 or by writing to Castelan Ltd, Administration Manager, Alpha House, Sunnyside Road North, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, BS23 3QY, United Kingdom.
- You must co-operate with us in obtaining reimbursement of any costs we incur under the terms of this cover, which may have been caused by the action of a third party, against whom you have a legal right of action.
- We may amend these Terms and Conditions for legal or regulatory reasons or for reasons relating to the availability of the product. Where this change benefits you, we will make the change immediately and notify you of the change within 28 days. In all other cases we will write to advise you of the change at least 28 days prior to any change taking effect. Where the changes do not benefit you and if you wish to terminate your policy, you may terminate your cover and we will refund your premium for the remainder of the policy period shown on your Certificate of Insurance, unless a claim has been made.
4. WHAT IS COVERED
Each element of cover described below only applies to the extent it is included in your Certificate of insurance
STAINING as follows:
- STAINING TREATED: Following the application of a pre-approved protector and resulting from sudden and accidental contact with any substance.
- STAINING UNTREATED:
- Fabric upholstery, cabinet furniture, carpet and beds: Without the application of a pre-approved protector and resulting from sudden and accidental contact with any substance except corrosive substances including bleach.
- Leather upholstery: Resulting from sudden and accidental contact with any substance.
NOTE: Fabric and Leather Upholstery is covered against sudden and accidental dye transfer from newspaper print and / or clothing under staining treated and untreated.
- ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE
- Fabric upholstery and beds: a sudden and accidental event resulting in a rip, tear or burn.
- Leather upholstery: a sudden and accidental event resulting in a rip, tear, burn, scratch, puncture or scuff.
- Cabinet furniture: a sudden and accidental event resulting in a dent, burn, chip (including chips on glass), scratch (including scratches on glass), breakage of glass components, heat ring, water and liquid marks from food and beverages.
Staining and Accidental Damage: Pet damage and deliberate child damage are limited to only one incident each during the Period of Cover.
- STRUCTURAL DEFECTS: In materials or workmanship first discovered following the expiry of the manufacturer's guarantee and resulting in breakage or separation of frame components, breaking or bending of metal components, recliner, rocker, sleeper and swivel boxes, excessive loss of resiliency of webbing, springs, foam or fibre filled interiors, defective mechanisms, warping, broken zips, broken castors, fascias, unstitching of buttons, failure of any stitching or seam, peeling of leather and peeling/lifting of veneer.
NOTE: Structural Defects arising during the manufacturer's guarantee must be reported to the retailer from whom you purchased your product and will be dealt with under the manufacturer's guarantee.
5. WHAT IS NOT COVERED
Any claim for or resulting from the following will not be valid:
- Damage caused deliberately by any person or child other than the first incident of deliberate child damage covered under this insurance;
- Wear and tear consistent with the initial quality of the product and the manner in which the product is used;
- Loss of resiliency that is determined within the reasonable limits of the product quality;
- Neglect, abuse, or misuse of the product;
- The effects of sunlight, wind, weather, rusting, radiation, building fire, smoke damage, flooding or corrosion upon the product;
- Structural Defects in products that have been manufactured in accordance with a defective design or specification;
- Changes in colour of any part of the product regardless of the cause, other than staining as described in 4(i) and 4(ii) above;
- Stains caused by the gradual build up of dye transfer;
- Staining or Accidental Damage to products used in a food preparation area;
- Use of incorrect or inappropriate cleaning products or cleaning methods;
- The removal of any odour even where caused by a stain;
- Damage caused whilst the product is in transit;
- Damage caused by pets (except pet fluids) after the first incident of pet damage covered under this insurance;
- Damage caused by insects, non-domestic animals or wild birds (except animal fluids);
- Costs, expenses or other financial loss other than the cost we agree for cleaning, repairing or replacing the product;
- Use of the product in business premises or in residential premises which you let or sublet;
- Use of the product outside the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man; and
- Structural Defects first discovered before the expiry of the manufacturer's guarantee.
6. HOW TO CLAIM
HOW TO MAKE A CLAIM: Telephone the administrator on 0870 320 0333 within 72 hours of discovery and state your Certificate Number shown on your Certificate of Insurance and the nature of your claim. The administrator will then decide if your claim meets the criteria stated in this Certificate. The administrator may inspect the product to help them assess your claim and may require you to complete a claim form.
HOW WE WILL SETTLE CLAIMS: Valid claims will be settled by cleaning, repairing or replacing the damaged product at our discretion up to a value not exceeding the maximum liability. Where we are not able to clean, repair or replace the damaged product satisfactorily:
- We will issue a credit note for use at the same retailer from which you originally purchased the product,
- If the retailer has ceased to trade or has moved, we will issue a credit note for use at a similar retailer of our choice that is local to you, or
- We may choose to provide an offer of cash settlement in lieu of replacement whereby the damaged product will remain your property in its current condition. The value of the credit note will be the amount you paid for the product less any previous claims, or if the damaged item is non-integral and therefore easily separated, for the cost of replacing that item only, subject to the maximum liability.
If your claim is settled by credit note we reserve the right to take sole ownership of the defective product. If we wish to take such ownership, the defective product will be collected at the same time as the replacement product that you selected is delivered. Until such time you cannot sell or dispose of the defective product without the administrators prior written consent. If we choose not to collect the defective product as above the ownership of it and the responsibility for it will remain solely with you. UK General Insurance Ltd is an agent of Ageas Insurance Limited and in the matter of a claim act on their behalf.
7. FRAUDULENT CLAIMS
You must not act in a fraudulent manner. If you (or anyone acting for you):
- Make a claim under the insurance knowing the claim to be false or fraudulently exaggerated in any respect,
- Make a statement in support of a claim knowing the statement to be false in any respect,
- Submit a document in support of a claim knowing the document to be forged or false in any respect, or
- Make a claim in respect of any loss or damage caused by your wilful act;
- Will not pay the claim or any other claim made under the insurance;
- Will declare the insurance void and not make any return of premium;
- Will be entitled to recover from you the amount of any claim already paid under the insurance; and
- May inform the police of the circumstances.
8. CANCELLATION AND REFUNDS
You may cancel this insurance by contacting JD Williams by telephone on 0871 231 2000, by writing to Customer Services, Customer Contact Centre, 23 Hunts Bank, Manchester M3 1AX or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Plans cancelled within 45 days following the date of purchase will be refunded in full. Goods accepted by the retailer as returnable due to defect within the first year following the date of purchase will be refunded in full. No refund is applicable to plans cancelled after 45 days or goods returned after the first year. No refund of premium will be made if you have made a claim.
9. GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- You cannot transfer this Certificate of Insurance to another person;
- You and your family must take all reasonable precautions to safeguard the product and to avoid loss or damage to it. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring that the product is maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. If you fail to do so any claim you make may be rejected by the administrator;
- This Agreement will be subject to English law unless we agree with you in writing otherwise.
- To improve the quality of our service, we will be monitoring and recording some telephone calls;
- When your cover under the policy ends it will not have a cash or surrender value.
10. COMPLAINTS PROCEDURE
If you have a complaint, in the first instance please phone: 0870 320 0333 or email:email@example.com or write to: Castelan Ltd, Customer Care Manager, Alpha House, Sunnyside Road North, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, BS23 3QY, United Kingdom. In the event you remain dissatisfied and wish to make a complaint, you can do so by contacting the following: The Customer Relations Manager, UK General Insurance Ltd, Cast House, Old Mill Business Park, Gibraltar Island Road, Leeds, LS10 1RJ. Tel: 0845 218 2685 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If it is not possible to reach an agreement, you have the right to make an appeal to the Financial Ombudsman Service. This also applies if you are insured in a business capacity and have an annual turnover of less than €2 million and fewer than ten staff. You may contact the Financial Ombudsman Service at: The Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, Docklands, London, E14 9SR. Tel: 0845 080 1800.
The above complaints procedure is in addition to your statutory rights as a consumer. For further information about your statutory rights contact your local authority Trading Standards Service or Citizens Advice Bureau.
11. FINANCIAL SERVICES COMPENSATION SCHEME
Ageas Insurance Limited are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme, if they cannot meet their obligations. This depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim. Most insurance contracts arecovered for 90% of the claim with no upper limit. You can get more information about compensation scheme arrangements from the FSCS or visit www.fscs.org.uk.
12. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
Any information that you provide under this agreement will be held and used to administer your policy by the administrator (who shall be the 'data controller' for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998). To help keep your information accurate and up to date we may use information from selected third parties. Upon payment of a small administration fee you have the right (subject to certain limited exceptions) to access and, if necessary, rectify information held about you. If you do wish to make such an inspection please write to Castelan Limited, Alpha House, Sunnyside Road North, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset. BS23 3QY marking any correspondence 'For the attention of the Data Protection Officer, Customer Relations Department'.